Keep up to date with news and developments about the proposed Roşia Montană mine. The links below lead to interviews with and articles from guest contributors and perspectives on commentary from around the web, including:
- Catalin Hosu on a CNN report about Finnish mining, its positive effect on the local communities and how the Roşia Montană Project could have the same positive impact
- Titus Capilnean on the impact of mining on the supply chain, local suppliers and its contribution to economic development
- Joe Zammit-Lucia on a very significant and welcome shift in mindset around how and why we want to conserve our heritage
- Catalin Hosu on an Eastern and Central European mining potential article in the Mining Journal
- Catalin Hosu on a set of examples from EU member states regarding mineral resource policies and industrial developments
- Catalin Hosu on responsible mining examples from all over the world, featuring Finland, Sweden, New Zealand and the US
- Mike Armitage (Chairman of SRK Consulting) on the Rosia Montana data and sees no evidence of any additional minerals or elements that can be recovered commercially from its ore bodies.
- N. Ishwaran and J. Zammit-Lucia, in a series of four articles (I, II, III, IV), on a constructive approach regarding mining and heritage at Rosia Montana
The Finland story CNN published a Jim Boulden video documentary on how Finland Arctic Circle mining is helping local communities thrive, evolve…
Overview of English tweets about Roşia Montană between 01 September 2013 and 17 February 2014 Create Infographics
Mr. Stephan Theban, an external independent auditor, asks: ‘Is it realistic for a new mining project in a country new to the European Union to go beyond international and EU standards on environmental safety and protection? In the case of the proposed gold mine at Roşia Montană the answer is: yes.’
Raluca Besliu’s recent article is typical of the misinformation and misinterpretations being put forward by activists opposing the Roşia Montană gold mine. The project will benefit, not harm, the region.
By Sean O’Sullivan, Government Relations Officer for the Rosia Montana Gold Project
The objectors, be they MEPs or environmentalists are blaming the wrong people. Mining provides much needed investment to trigger sustainable regional development, wealth creation and environmental regeneration.
An interview with Dr. Corina Hebestreit, the director of Euromines, the representative body for the European mining industry.
‘Resource efficiency isn’t just about trade: it’s about making the very best of what we have, whether it’s sourced in Europe or imported.’
An interview with Dr. Terry Mudder, a science and engineering consultant and expert on cyanide.
‘To state simply that cyanide cannot be used safely under any circumstances is a falsehood,’ says Dr. Terry Mudder.
By Dragos Tanase, General Manager of the Roşia Montană Gold Corporation
Jobs, economic growth, the revival of our moribund mining sector – and the highest environmental and safety standards.
That’s what the Roşia Montană project will bring to Romania.
By Seppo Maula, the former mayor of Kittala, Finland, where one of Europe’s largest gold mines started commercial production in 2009.
“Romania has a tradition of mining going back to the Romans. This is a chance for that industry to have a new start.”